Grilling safety: Don’t let that cookout cost you an accidental fire

Grilling safety: Don’t let that cookout cost you an accidental fire


grill, it’s smart to give the coals enough time to cool, before you throw them away. As 27 First News reporter Tyler Trill tells us a family in Warren learned that lesson the hard way. Tyler joins us in studio tonight. [F4]20170703 CHARCOAL NT-STUDIO A weekend cookout in Warren turned into two separate garage fires, and an estimated twenty thousand dollars in damage. 29-38 57-1:08 Tyler Trill: Mary Appleqist and her family should be in Niagra Falls on vacation today. Instead, she and her neighbor are cleaning their garage. MARY APPLEQUIST THERE DO NOT DUMP YOUR ASHES IN A TRASH CAN, BECAUSE AS YOU CAN SEE THIS IS WHAT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU Tyler Trill: Applequist says she was cooking dinner on the grill Saturday. She waited until yesterday to put the charcoals in their plastic garbage can. MARY APPLEQUIST : NEXT THING I KNOW MY SON IS COMING OVER YELLING THE GARAGES ARE ON FIRE AND WE COME OUT AND WE RESCUE AS MUCH STUFF WE COULD Tyler Trill: Applequist’s garage is the Blue one on Hamilton Street —It’s one wall is badly burnt. Her son’s garage took the brunt of the damage next door. They were able to save his car inside and a lawn mower. Warren Fire Chief Ken Nussle says fires caused by grills in Warren are rare, but he does have some advice. CHIEF KEN NUSSLE RECOMMENDATION IS TO LET THEM COOL AT LEAST 24 HOURS, PREFERABBLY 48 HOURS. THEN DISPOSE OF THEM IN AN OLD COFFEE CAN OR ALUMINUM FOIL. Tyler Trill: Chief Nussle also says you should let the coals cool naturally, by letting them sit inside the grill with the lid closed. Then throw them out in a metal container, not inside a plastic trash can. Chief Nussle does not suggest just throwing water onto charcoal. He says you can soak them in water before throwing them out, though.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *